Best windscreen washer fluid

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Best windscreen washer fluid

Post by Southernboy »

Having fitted a new soft top, I would like to know if anyone has considered which reservoir washer fluid to use. I'm certain some fluids could leave marks of residue in the fabric and others may just be plain harmful. Anyone ever found an effective cleaning fluid which they would recommend?
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Best windscreen washer fluid

Post by Robert T »

BMWs own. I but a 5 litre bottle of concentrate and dilute as needed. Good for pretty much all climates. Lasts ages and doesn't seem to go "off" in the tank.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks Robert. I'll go that route then.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

I use the cheapest concentrate available (not 'ready-to-use') but always dilute it with demineralised water. I live in an area where tap water is hard and when it dries it leaves traces of hardness salts. You don't want that on your mohair! Because of the hard water, all water used in the kettle comes from a filter jug fastidiously maintained with a fresh filter when necessary. The routine when filter changing involves discarding the first two litres of water through a new filter to avoid any taste taint so I keep that for the screenwasher. Concentrates usually have two main components: a pH neutral detergent and isopropyl alcohol as an antifreeze. Dyes and perfumes are present too, but only, I suspect, to justify the price. There's probably an anti-fungal component too.