BMW Z3 3ltr in Classic Magazine.

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
lurch 1

blank

BMW Z3 3ltr in Classic Magazine.

Post by lurch 1 »

Just purchased Jan 2010 of Classic Car Magazine and surprised to see the Z3 3ltr listed in buyers guide! Cant say I have seen it before in any other magazine. Are they classics now? JD :lol:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Hmmm, 3.0 is 10 years old although there are earlier models with different engines so 10 years can't be the start point :?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

It seems to depend on who you talk to as to which car is a classic or not. I'm sure that there are lots of cars that most of us would not consider them as classics, but there owners do love there own car, and that is what it is all about, if your car gives you great enjoyment, to pot with what anyone else thinks. :)
lurch 1

blank

Post by lurch 1 »

Yes I agree, wonder where these mags get the figures for their price guide? I should have mentioned it is in Jan 2010 Classic Cars Magazine. Jd :lol:
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Nothing appears written-in-stone to describe the criteria for classic status. Magazines and web sites mostly differ. 12/15 years I've often heard. :?: Across the Atlantic in the states I think classic cars are pre-1960 :shock: - Gary?

(and I'm not getting at your age!) :joker:

C
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Some insurers will consider a car a classic after 10 years - usually comes under something like a cherished car policy - I don't think it is automatic qualification though as I'm pretty sure they wouldn't accept a 10 year old Lada for example. :P

For free road tax the cut off is 1973 and it is amazing the difference in price cars can fetch which are just a few months either side of this.

The Z3 is probably still not a classic in everyone's eyes, but it is certainly heading that way. Perhaps it might get there when people stop asking if my car is new. A complete contrast to my other car - someone recently asked if it wast the last one! :roflmao:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I think the term 'Classic' reflects Desirablity and Rarity.

Personally I don't think the Z3 has reached that catagory yet
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

I have had a couple of cars on classic car insurance policies, their take on it, (insurance) as i was told was ' a car older than 10 years that has ceased production'

you can get some cheap insurance on those policies. i had a 1985 911 3.2 ss insured a couple of years back , agreed value of £14k , insured for £286 fully comp

bargain !
Still modifying
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Robert T wrote:
The Z3 is probably still not a classic in everyone's eyes, but it is certainly heading that way. Perhaps it might get there when people stop asking if my car is new. :
Robert the amount of times i have been asked "Is it new" is amazing"

I think the classic statement from a young AA man when a minor thing had gone wrong with the car.

He said it was probably covered under the new Warranty
It does have a personal plate

I said its ten years old
" His jaw dropped "

Priceless

The Z3 will always be a classic

Ray
Last edited by Boysie on Tue 01 Dec, 2009 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Adam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Adam »

I too have had the "is it new" question" and jaws drop when they here the age and mileage.

Even had the "you must be doing alright to buy one of those"

It gives me a warm feeling of pride. A Z3 is a classic in my eye, regardless of age, mileage, engine etc.