Rust never sleeps

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
joebuck

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Rust never sleeps

Post by joebuck »

Finally got around to dropping out the spare wheel and checking out jack use etc. Tyre itself looked unused without the tiny sidewall cracks usually found on old tyres but the wheel was almost welded to the plastic holder. Had to remove lots of sand gravel etc. and ended up sanding down and repainting. The hose from valve to outside was badly corroded at the metal ends and certainly prone to leakage. I am on the lookout for a valve extension used in van double wheels which should do the trick. This was on a car first reg. Aug. 02 so i would dread to think of the earlier cars that have never been checked. Also checked out boot welds while i was in there (no probs) and feel it was a worthwhile exercise as i am now prepared for a flat tyre on a wet and windy night.
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Rust never sleeps

Post by XVar »

This is what the wheel from my 1997 was like before I removed it and promptly took it to the tip :shock:

Last edited by XVar on Sun 16 Feb, 2020 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Cookley

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Cookley »

OMFG

WOW! Was this a spare or what?
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Yep that's the spare that lives in the tray underneath the car. I've seen quite a few photos of rusty ones but I think mine's probably the worst I've seen on these forums.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

This was mine:

Doesn't look too bad in that shot, but the edge of the rim was corroded and it wouldn't have held air much longer. I replaced with a new rim from BMMiniparts for £30, which was not bad, but the tyre to put on it was £90 (fitted). :(

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc